What a wild ride! It feels like so long ago that I sat down for that first Mind Lab session, nervous about what we would do, excited to be studying again and scared I wouldn’t cut it compared to everyone else!
But I survived. AND now I will thrive with all this new knowledge that I can’t wait to start implementing properly in my classroom. To be honest, I really just did a load of theory all year, had a brief play with ideas, then had to shelve them to move on to the next piece of learning. Next year is my year. I can do things like set up social media for my class and parents, organise some great Augmented Reality resources tailored to my students and look at introducing a few more collaborative projects with colleagues.
One of the biggest things I have gotten out of this year’s work is to look more critically at what and how I am teaching. Is it best practice? Is there an easier or better way? I have begun to use reflective practice, where I not only identify a problem but talk about it with others, develop possible solutions, test those solutions and then critically re-examine the situation (Osterman & Kottkamp, 1993).
Many of the Practicing Teacher Criteria (Ministry of Education, nd.) have been covered by the content of the course in the past 32 weeks. Most notable for me have been:
· Criterion 4: Demonstrate commitment to ongoing professional learning and development of professional personal practice.
This year I have learnt new aspects of leadership practice, digital technologies, how to implement some different apps for my students and to develop further resources, cultural competencies and so many other new ideas I can’t list them all!
· Criterion 12: Use critical inquiry and problem-solving effectively in their professional practice.
Research into the Growth Mindset literature and a subsequent Teaching as Inquiry plan have involved plenty of professional learning and begun changes in my practice this year.
As for future study… tell me more about paid study leave!
I loved the course and would love to do Masters, however, I don’t think I could do it while working full time, having two children, a partner and a house that is under major structural renovation. I think my kids are looking forward to having their Mother back for a bit. Maybe when they leave home…
References
Osterman, K. & Kottkamp, R.(1993). Reflective Practice for Educators. California:Cornwin Press, Inc. Retrieved on 7th May, 2015 from http://www.itslifejimbutnotasweknowit.org.uk/files.
Ministry of Education (nd). Practising teacher Criteria and e-learning . Retrieved from http://elearning.tki.org.nz/Professional-learning/
References
Osterman, K. & Kottkamp, R.(1993). Reflective Practice for Educators. California:Cornwin Press, Inc. Retrieved on 7th May, 2015 from http://www.itslifejimbutnotasweknowit.org.uk/files.
Ministry of Education (nd). Practising teacher Criteria and e-learning . Retrieved from http://elearning.tki.org.nz/Professional-learning/
No comments:
Post a Comment